Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Lois Phillips Hudson to Rosa Morgan, c. 1960 -- "We must all listen to one another"


Probably the first book I read that I understood to have a political perspective as well as a story was Bones of Plenty, by Lois Phillips Hudson. Based on her childhood on a North Dakota farm that was lost to the Depression and the Dust Bowl, it was published in 1962, and I must have read it soon after. Nearly 60 years later I'm hazy about the plot, but I can still bring up the emotions I felt. At 12 I probably hadn't read, or at least understood, many books without happy endings, where hard work and stubborn independence went unrewarded. Decades later when I read Tim Egan's chronicle of the Dust Bowl, The Worst Hard Time, I recalled the world that Lois had described.  

I had met Lois Hudson a year or two earlier when she visited our cabin on Harstene Island. She was familiar with the area, having taught school in Shelton a few years before. I was struck even as a child by her intensity and responsiveness in conversation. I think she came to represent a kind of intellectual glamour for me.

Lois Phillips Hudson
Three weeks after her visit, she wrote to my mom -- four single spaced pages of follow-up musings, starting out: 

It is more difficult than I had imagined to resume a conversation on paper three weeks after it has been begun on a beach. I begin to realize that the things I was saying will look pretty shallow and irresponsible written down. That's always the case--that's why when I want to communicate at all precisely I write. 

She went on to sort through her ideas on the raising of children (hers were preschoolers at that time), the role of women, and the meaning and value of creativity. 

... Everybody is so worried about being CREATIVE these days. (Of course that's part of what's wrong with our kid-raising. If we aren't so foolish as to think we'll stop all their creative impulses by forcing them to stop crayoning on the wall, we are all guilty of that worry in more subtle ways, whereas, probably if the truth were known, a genuine creative ability is just about impossible to stifle, if we can infer anything from the lives of artists.) Randy [Randolph Phillips, her then husband] noticed a card in a birthday section of "avant-garde" greeting cards that read "I'm not creative, but Happy Birthday," with an appropriate illustration. Why? Why this obsession with being creative? Is it the fear of conformity we all suffer from? The fear of automation? Just the fear of having too many people in the world? The fear of too much leisure? The fear of having machines do so many things that nothing human beings will do will have any significance any more? We've worked so hard to have time to enjoy life and now nobody can enjoy life. ...

To me one answer is not that we must all be creative but that we must all listen to one another. Too many offenses have already been committed in the name of creativity, and too many people who are blessed with brilliance, perception, judgement, education, and sensitivity have not been listened to, and indeed, have felt too humble to speak out. It is the responsibility of these people to support what they think is good, and frankly and fearlessly denounce what they think is bad. And that is not at all a passive role I wouldn't think. Again, I know no social history, but I think that's what the aristocrats once did, and they certainly did not feel inferior to the artists. American women of our class are in a position to take over that function once served by the aristocracy, and that fact that no element in American society seems to be doing that seriously and strongly at the moment may explain why so many uncreative hacks like Jerome Weidman can get to reviews for stuff that obviously hasn't been rewritten once. (He has sentences in his latest book that I'm quite positive even he cannot untangle now that the ink is dry. This is an inexcusable state of affairs.) Also, American women of our class can have a huge effect on politics, if we will become more active. Men are all too busy making money and laughing at their wives for writing letters, but after the last couple of weeks, perhaps they won't laugh so much. Randy hasn't made any more cracks! There ARE things to be done, and I admit that the human condition requires that gifted people must be DOING or go mad. My thesis, to make a needed repetition, is that we don't necessarily have to have some kind of formal job--it's the pressures of this particular society that make us feel that way.

Reading the letter now, it strikes me how much of what she says presents issues and ideas that Betty Friedan brought to national attention a few years later in The Feminine Mystique. I'm not entirely sure what she meant by "women of our class," but she and Rosa both were educated and talented women from working-class backgrounds.  

No comments:

Post a Comment