Friday, February 14, 2014

Rags to Murray, 14 February1962 -- "a psychosomatic reaction to Buddhism"


Madison, Wisconsin

Dear Murray and Rosa,
 
When I listened to your program last summer, I always thought how different it was from the usual news story. The usual story doesn’t tell what happened. I had my students covering the legislature and I notice that they keep coming back with a written story, which isn’t the real story, and then telling me what really happened.

I know the real story often can’t be told, but I think there is a journalistic formula that seems to keep the story back even when it can be told. It is hard to get good examples. …

I had lunch today with Jean’s [Jean O’Houlihan, formerly married to Gene Elliott] friend from Majorca. He is editor of the Wisconsin History Journal. He agreed that she seemed a little like Blanche DuBois in Streetcar Named Desire: appealing because she can keep up the gaiety while treading along a tricky path that she picked out for herself and that you feel will somehow lead to a swamp. Her last plan was to come here when her husband gets out of the Marines and get him to take a PhD.

Janie got through her first semester of Chinese, Buddhism and Asian History with all A’s, and now has chickenpox, which may be a psychosomatic reaction to Buddhism, which she finds an unsympathetic subject.
...
 
We are sure to get out to Washington again, especially if Noel can get a job there … It will be a real pity in a way if Noel can’t get into some college she wants, because she has worked so hard and is now the top girl in her class of 50 at her school. It’s the first time I wished I’d stayed with Time.
Use the A house for yourself or friends if you need it in any way,
 
Rags

No comments:

Post a Comment