Friday, June 4, 2021

Thurston Griggs to Murray, May 23, 1991 -- "an ikon of antiquity"


Dear Murray,

I perceive that you have become an institution -- a symbol of respectability, reverence for the past, the Pacific Northwest native heritage -- in short an ikon of antiquity and a pillar of culture. Your presence automatically dignifies civic occasions. I'm not trying to be funny; this is a place you have earned, and the community needs it -- perhaps more than they realize. I never thought Edmund Meany suitable for that role; too stiff. You undoubtedly have the humanity and wit to carry it off much more to my satisfaction. Of course William Bonney might have once represented the heritage of bygone days; but I saw three of his vehicular crashes when he was trying to make the transition from buggies to the motor age. He looked pathetic and bewildered on each occasion -- as if to say, "what again? what is the world coming to -- these infernal devices..." I always felt that he never caught up with time and never would.

Too stiff?

A bit bewildered?
Just right?          


 










(Murray Morgan and Pioneer Square companions photo by Mary Randlett)

No comments:

Post a Comment