Tuesday, March 6, 2012

New York City -- Rosa to Jessie Northcutt, early 1942



Dearest Mom, 

Last night I collected my last check from Prentice Hall Publishing House and became a lady of leisure, meaning that I only work for Murray now.


Josephine Rathbone integrated yoga postures 
into exercises for relaxation and physical therapy.
Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, 
Archives and Special Collections.
This is a Saturday morning and I'm waiting in the library at Teacher's College on the Columbia Campus, to interview a Professor Rathbone on her special relaxation program. She has worked out some exercises to help civilian morale during air raids and blackouts and the course has been made part of the curriculum at C.U. Murray wants the story for the Herald-Tribune, so here I am. On my last job I had Saturdays off. 

Murray is getting a little sleep for a change. We attended a dinner last night for 42 South Americans visiting here on scholarships. The speeches were over at 10:30 and Murray just had time to go to the newspaper office and write his stories before reporting at the studio to write his radio broadcast at 12:30 a.m. He got home at 9:30 a.m. when I got out of bed and he took my place.
...
In order to attend the dinner last night and get a seat at the Press table with Murray I claimed to represent the Baltimore Sun and, naturally, to be only slightly acquainted with Murray, my competitor. The evening was a little awkward and awfully funny. I don't think we put it over very well. I couldn't manage a drawl that didn't sound like West Coast instead of sunny Baltimore and we kept forgetting our roles. Murray addressed me alternately as "Miss Morgan" and "Nunny." On the whole I'm afraid any impartial observer would have picked us as a couple extremely happily married for nearly 3 years. We've bluffed through a lot of things in our career together, but this was the silliest, just to get me a superb roast chicken dinner in the company of my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment