Friday, June 15, 2012

Attu, 3 April 1945 -- "a gripping of fog"


My pleasant capybara...

... I am feeling quite good. Tonight already I have finished five more pages of "The Fight in the Fog," carrying the story of the campaign up through our occupation of Adak. Some of the writing is good and some not so good, but at any rate it is progressing. I will be through with this draft by the time more orders are in, barring the unexpected.
...
I found the copy of the Times in a wastebasket here the other day. No one knows who it belonged to. We've been having a lot of fun reading it, especially as two pages are devoted to reviews, which are very urbane and quite pleasant. One, on a performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Haymarket, says:


Max Adrian in 1944: not '14
And then there was Puck. Mr. Max Adrian is a brilliantly clever actor who never fails to delight me. I remember his witty cozenings as Pandarus in Troilus and Cressida, and the superb fatuousness of his Sir Ralph Bloomfield Bonington in The Doctor's Dilemma. If I were casting a play about Dr. Johnson he would be my first choice for Boswell. But I submit that none of these is Shakespeare's fourteen-year-old leading his victims through bog, through brush, through brake, through brier. Mr. Adrian did brilliantly, of course. But it was the garish brilliance of a Mordkin or a Nijinsky, putting on a rehearsed glitter to hide the fatigue of a world-tour of Petrouchka, followed by L'Apres-midi d'un Faune.

There was also a review of Guest in the House, which I like for several reasons. One of them was that the movie is now on our enchanted island, and Gene and I went to see it. As I remember the play it was not bad. But the movie is incredibly bad. One of the bad things is, strangely enough, the good photography. The photography has greater depth than any I can remember (which is good) and there was some very interesting use of distortion and strange angles. The main trouble was that most of the time there seemed to be no reason for the camera to be peering at the actors through the window, out of the ceiling, from under the bed and perchance from the handle of the vacuum cleaner. When the angle had significance to the presentation of the scene, this sort of thing was excellent. But most of the time the photographer seemed to be shouting, "Hey, look, I can keep the bannister in focus in three feet and have Ralph Bellamy pretty sharp at fifty. Not bad, eh?"  ...

Dave just dropped in and work on Gene's Symphony and this letter stopped while we got off on a wild discussion of Dostoevsky. Dave is reading The Possessed, thinks it wonderful and claims all the characters are credible. I maintained that I could not believe the mysticism of some -- and you can imagine what that led to. A gripping of fog and a wrestling with semantic confusion in which we all belabored mysticism, each other and such assorted characters as Saroyan and Mary Baker Eddy, before coming to the conclusion that we (1) did not know what we were talking about and (2) agreed completely anyway. 

I have grown to like Dave very much, although it always comes as something of a shock to me when he says something like, "You have a beautiful tibia, Murray." He is the best-read man I have encountered since Howard [Daniel], and he has a highly developed social conscience. He is always trying to do things for the general good. For instance, a non-coms club is being formed on the island. Dave disagrees with the idea of distinction between non-coms and privates and pfcs, but he went to the organizational meetings -- and will join. His idea seems to be that of boring from within. He came back from the first organizational meeting elated. He had nominated a Negro for vice-president, his nominee had nominated another Negro and another socially conscious character had moved nominations be closed. This, Dave felt, was a big step forward in race relations, and it certainly was cause for some satisfaction. Another triumph came when the rule was adopted that while a non-com could be admitted to the club if he were not a member, all privates and pfcs could be brought as guests of members. So Dave was happy. But he came back from the second meeting a bit upset. The boys had tried to revoke the pfcs-and-privates-as-guests provision. Before someone broke the news gently that unless the provision was kept Special Services might refuse to kick through with a few thousand dollars for the club, the vice-president had taken a firm stand against having the low graders as guests, explaining, "I worked hard for these stripes and I want something out of them." The final decision was to keep the private proviso as it was but to have a gentleman's agreement about exercising it. Perhaps [       ] a non-coms agreement. Anyway, Dave was unhappy. Me? I get a sort of sardonic kick out of it. I guess I need a trip to Shelton. 

I love you very very much my tender one. I miss you achingly, at every moment, and even twenty-six days can seem a series of eternities ... I adore you. 

Your, M

No comments:

Post a Comment