Sunday, November 1, 2015

Watergate withdrawal -- 1974


Howard and Judith Daniel were among Murray and Rosa's oldest (and possibly most cynical) friends. They moved to Howard's native Australia after Howard retired from the United Nations. Looking back on Watergate from the perspective of 2020, the hearings seem to represent a lovely example of journalists and Congress all doing their jobs.

Dear Howard and Judy—
Way back when I was at Time I used to spend my time folding planes out of Luce stationery and sailing them out of the 17th floor window. They'd disappear toward the East River, but nobody ever answered. You must feel like that when you write to us. I don't know which writers block makes me feel worse: book or letters to the Daniels.

Nixon and Rebozo (Florida Archives)
You are much in our minds. Would have loved to have been with you during the Watergate denouement. Such a marvelous unveiling. Such a mixture of farce and triumph. Such an improbable new hero. Such quick anticlimax. But even with Ford to kick around, I suffer from Watergate withdrawal. For such a long time there was a geometric pattern of revelation, pause and more revelation that I began to entertain hopes that they'd eventually come up with Tricia as the triggerman for the Wallace shooting, or Lassie as Dick's enamorata. Now I have to settle for wishing the worst to Erlichmann and wondering if they'll get around to Bebe Rebozo. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment